Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Oh, I'm never gonna be the same again, now I've seen the way it's got to end...

How many of you have seen the movie, Men in Black?  In case you haven't, it's one of those classic movies that our generation grew up with.  The movie stars Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones as protectors of our universe--and fighters of intergalactic terrorism.  Nevertheless, the film begins with us meeting Agent "K" (Jones), who in essence has difficulty finding a partner that fits his standards.  James, (Smith) is an overzealous New York City Police Officer, who is frustrated with the apathy of his coworkers and encounters a villain who seems to be more than meets the eye; literally.  Eventually, Agent "K" recruits James, and puts him through rigorous tests in order to confirm his inclination that "The Kid" is, in fact, right for the job.

Thus, James becomes Agent "J"--and sheds his identity to join MiB.  Everything he once, was--he is no more.  SSN, erased.  Birth certificate, 'misplaced'.  Fingerprints, destroyed.  All indication that James ever existed---has evaporated into time and space; and just like that James Edwards is gone. 

As "J" gets acclimated to his surroundings and the inner-workings of MiB, he learns that we are not alone--and that those who occupy this universe with us aren't always little brown alien men who become your best friend, repair cuts on your fingers--and beg to 'phone home'.  No, as with everything in this life--there are the good, and there are the bad.  

Enter Edgar the Farmer, His Wife--and "The Bug" (also seen as a giant angry cockroach)...

As Agents "J" and "K" attempt to track down "The Bug" that supposedly crash-landed on a rural farm.  When they encounter the wife of the farmer who has gone missing, she describes her husband's behavior to the Agents:

"I know Edgar, and that wasn't Edgar....it was like something was wearing an Edgar suit."

The movie continues with "K" taking "J" along for the ride--in the effort to find and stop "The Bug" that will inevitably destroy Earth if he gets his hands on The Galaxy, which is ultimately what he is after.  A few fight scenes, 50 hilarious one-liners, and a closing scene that includes vast amounts of juicy roach guts--our audience is lead to draw many conclusions from this comedy.  

  1. We always have the potential to be something else---even if it means our identity is sacrificed in the process.
  2. Not everything is as it seems.
  3. There is good in this world, and there is evil. 
  4. We are not alone.  Even if this is a comedic attempt at science fiction with a rap song in the end-credits.  Think about the concept.  We are not alone in the sense that, perhaps there might be something else out there in this universe.  However, we are not alone because no matter who you are, there will always be someone there to help you get the disgusting roach guts off of your suit.
  5. Sometimes, the memories we have are not those we desire.  Some of us would rather be "Flashy-Thinged" so that we don't have to deal with our past.  
  6.  There is always more than meets the eye, in every situation.  
  7. We don't always end up where we think we will.
What I find interesting about my analysis of this movie, (which is not as deep of a plot as I have made it out to be, let's get real here)---is that there are many truths within the conclusions that our audience can draw.  One of the biggest being "We don't always end up where we think we will."  You see, I have been on a plan for so long---that perhaps I've lost the ability to see the value in spontaneity.  Just as we have been told in our history classes: The unknown scares us.  Yes, not knowing who I am, who I am going to be, where I am going, and if I am ever going to find love again scares the shit out of me.  Planning makes things seem so much better, doesn't it? Planning makes things simple, makes the chances that something will go wrong, less likely.  To play devil's advocate--planning also makes things worse; because when something doesn't go 'according to plan' the after-effects are way more devastating.  

Right now, I'm in an "Alex Suit."  I am me on the outside, but on the inside---I'm a big old hot mess.  Plain and simple.  I'm good, and I'm bad.  I'm sane, and a little loopy.  I'm jaded.  Jaded, jaded, jaded---and cynical as hell.  I'm uncertain.  I'm just messed up---and I will admit it.  This messed me up big time.  I guess I am just going to have to try and let go--but I don't think it's as easy for me to walk away from the past six years as it was for him.  Funny how things work out, isn't it?  So I am going to continue to wade through the quicksand---and even though I keep getting stuck---there's one truth I know I can count on...

I am not alone, because no matter who I am---there will always be someone there to help me get the disgusting roach guts off of my suit.    

No comments:

Post a Comment