Wednesday, January 16, 2013

What's In a Name?

"What's in a name?  That which we call a rose 
By any other name would smell as sweet." Romeo and Juliet (II, ii, 1-2)

Beauty.  They say it is in the eye of the beholder, and that is something I firmly believe.  From a puppies to babies--beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  While I realize that the Shakespeare quote above does not discuss beauty, nor does it have anything to do with beauty--I thought it was proper for a few reasons.  For those of you who spark-noted Romeo and Juliet in high school, I will give you a very abbreviated version of this dramatic tale.  

Romeo Montague and Juliet Capulet are two teenagers that hail from feuding families.  The two fall in love, despite the implications their relationship will have on the feud---and in a dramatic, star-crossed ending both die as a result of their intense love for one another. One dagger, and a vial of poison later---two teens are dead.  

We all know the story of Romeo and Juliet, and even though it's considered to be one of the greatest stories in history--it definitely teaches it's readers much more than Shakespeare's affinity for figurative language.  Regardless of his message, and the hidden lessons that stem from this tale, let's talk about Juliet's rhetorical question.  

"What's in a name?"

Juliet asks this after she discovers that Romeo is a Montague.  Her statement suggests that a name means nothing.   A name does not change who a person is on the inside and outside.  Much like the name 'rose' does not change the fact that the flower smells delightful.  So, as I was pondering appearances and the emphasis placed on appearance, I asked myself:

"What is beauty?"

Well, beauty can have many classifications.  For example, my parents have a Bull Terrier, which many consider ugly.  We consider her beautiful.  Some parents may think their children are the most beautiful babies on the face of this planet.  Rightly and justly so.  However, there are times when you see a child, and you have to do the smile and nod "He/she is so cute"...and then when you leave you are like "Dear God, I hope that child is blessed with something later in life."  I know that sounds awful, because I am certainly, on no accounts beautiful.  However, if there is anything that has been top of mind lately for me, it is the concept of beauty.  I believe what has sparked this has been my activity on match.com.  I don't know if I have ever taken so many chances---and have had so many rejections.  It does't make me sad, because technology is so easy to hide behind.  It doesn't make me sad because I haven't met these men--and you never know until you try.  This is a big milestone for me.  Mostly because, if I wasn't in the right frame of mind I would have given up a long time ago.  However, I would be lying if I said that I didn't wish that I looked differently.  

You are only as beautiful as you believe you are. In my case, I think that I need to try harder to believe that I am.  I am not sure what it will take.  I am not sure how to pick my self esteem up. 

Regardless of everything I have written here...I feel that today's blog has a weak message.  All we can do is know that there are beautiful parts to all of us, and that someone out there somewhere finds us to be the most beautiful person that they have ever met.  I'm uncertain of who that person is for me, or for you, or for the neighbor down the street.  Perhaps it isn't even the person you're with now--which is a harsh reality to even stomach.

I'm going to stop rambling now....more cohesive thoughts to come later.  Inspiration has been weak lately--and I doubt that you all want to read about the same thoughts that have been swimming around in my head.  

Next blog is to potentially be about the art of flirting....stay tuned, and of course, stay beautiful.

A.   

No comments:

Post a Comment