Thursday, May 23, 2013

Checkmate!

Chess.  It's a game of wit, intelligence and strategy.  For those of you that are chess connoisseurs, you know that the game itself can be quite enthralling if you're patient enough to wait it out.  I, my friends, am not a chess or checkers player.  I don't have the patience for it, and I'm a sore loser.  That's why I always cheat when I play Monopoly.  I can't stand being the one without the money and properties so I barter with people and try to make unfair deals in order to be the one that comes out on top. Fun little fact about me and my sportsmanship: It sucks.  

In the grand scheme of things, though, the reason why I chose to discuss chess is because lately I've been thinking about the way things play out in this game we call life.  Honestly, my inspiration comes from an analogy I've heard about 100 times this past month:

It's like we are all chess pieces in a game.  We get moved here and there, and sometimes you get knocked off the board.  Sometimes you move in for a win.  Either way, you're not totally in control...and that is both scary and thrilling at the same time. 

So, is it true?  Are we all just pieces on a board, waiting for our next move?  It's interesting to think about because in all honesty sometimes the square we're moved to isn't exactly one that plays to our advantage.  It's easy to understand that good things happen to good people, good things happen to bad people, bad things happen to good people...and so on and so forth. I'm sure you get the picture.  It's just fascinating to watch it all play out.  Even when you are dealt that shitty poker hand.  It's still as if you can't peel your eyes or your brain off of what's happening.  That is why I always say, when it's good....it's really good and when it's bad...well,  it can be really bad.  

So how do you weigh it all out?  Do you covet your wins and count your losses?  Why is it that when we remember things, the good stands out but the bad is always looming in the background?  What about that negative energy sort of takes us for it's own?  

I guess why I think about this now...is because it seems like I'm sort of that chess piece that's falling into place. New job, new things on the horizon. Everything has this positive feel to it. So what am I getting at here? What's the wisdom that I can offer? Life is like a game in it's own right. Sometimes you lose and that's okay. Sometimes the loss is so devastating you're not sure that you'll recover from it. The truth is, (and this is what I think)...the loss is only as devastating as you let it be. There's always a way to recover from any loss that you may face. 

In my last blog, I discussed being selfish. It's something that I'm starting to believe more and more as I continue to play this game. So I'm going to keep on working towards that win. Sure, there will be losses along the way....but the only thing you can do is dust off your shoes and keep running.

Run on...

A.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment