Thursday, December 26, 2013

2013: A Year in Review

We are who we are for a reason. This is a simple truth. Each of us are intricately shaped to be the person we currently are. Sometimes, we are hard-wired to act or behave in a certain manner---while other times we've had experiences that affect our state of being, and ultimately who we are today.

It's funny how people change in life.  This is something I have definitely referenced before.  Things change us, life changes us---and we just sort of go along with it.  That's part of what makes us human. Sometimes, we fully embrace the change, and other times we fight it tooth and nail in order to maintain what we currently have going for us.  I used to be that person....because change scared me a great deal.  However, if there's one thing I've learned this year, it's one simple fact of life:

Sometimes, you can't fight change.  

Change is inevitable, and that is what makes this world really beautiful and really ugly all at once.  As I sit here, thinking about what I am going to say about 2013 in its entirety---I am sort of at a loss for words.

**Shocking, I know**

Here's the way I'd like to look at it.  Someone very wise told me, that life itself is like a road---and we're just driving down that road. In a car, there are many ways that you can see what's going on around you---but one of the most interesting and crucial pieces of equipment in the car is, in fact, the rear view mirror.  Yet, what happens if you keep looking back in the rear view mirror? You fail to see everything that is right in front of you---and you fail to see what's ahead.  It's valuable to occasionally glance back at where you're going---but you must always focus on the windshield.

This past year (and even now sometimes) I have spent so much time looking back.  For me, the gift of a good memory seems to have been both a blessing and a curse all at once. Yet, the past is the past, and that's where it should stay.  I've learned so many valuable lessons, however, and have gained so much by evaluating the past.  Which, at times can be both a melancholy and taxing process. So, in the spirit of going through all of the bad this year (which is something I normally focus on), I would like share all of the valuable things I have learned.....

More BULLETS! YAY!!!!

  • Creating positive habits, isn't as hard as I anticipated---especially when you begin to reap the benefits of the positive habits created.
  • Love is a funny thing, and it comes in many forms.  Just because you don't have romantic love in your life, doesn't mean you're unloved.  It means you have probably the most honest and unfaltering love known to man.  
  • Some friendships come and go. You might even waver from one group of friends to another--then back again.  Friends who can accept and love you--even when you're at your lowest point--are the best you can ever have. 
  • Even if you haven't lost someone in your life, there is always, always someone looking out for you.  You might not believe it--but too much as happened in this world for me not to believe it.
  • YOU have the power to make your own success. It all depends on how badly you want it.
  • No matter how annoyed you get at your parents sometimes, love and cherish them.  They just might be your saving grace.
  • As hard as it is, and as badly as you don't want to---always try to see life from an optimistic perspective.  The more negativity you project, the more negative infests your life.  Believe me, this is something I still work on.  Glass. Half. FULL.
  • Love yourself. Even if you can't see the beauty in you, someone else sure as hell does.  If you don't, people will stop telling you---because what's the point?  They know you won't believe it anyway. 
  • Do what you love, and love what you do.  If you don't, chances are that you're likely going to suffer from apathy. Apathy creates carelessness, and carelessness just causes you to suck. Period.
  • Before you say or do something, before you make a big decision----always look in the mirror.  If you can't even look yourself in the eyes--chances are, you're about to make an asshole decision.  If you can live with being an asshole, that's peachy.  Good for you. It might be entertaining for those around you, who know you, and can call you an asshole.  However, if you can't deal with being an asshole, perhaps you should re-think your actions or even your delivery method. 
  • Assholes are okay with making asshole decisions.  You see, in their mind they're right.  These people are often self-motivated adult-children.    
  • People are going to think what they want to think about you.  There's no doubt about it.  Since this is true--at least make them jealous of how awesome you are.
  • If you show people your strength, it's the sexiest thing in the world. I'm slowly learning (not that I am sexy), that confidence means everything.  It will help to guide you along the road to greatness....even if deep down inside you're a bit unsure of yourself.  Make em' look twice!
So there you have it, ladies and gents.  13 sentiments for 2013.  There's been good and bad this year, but hey--what's life without both the good and the bad?  I've learned so much about myself and others, and in that sense I've grown into a completely different person.  A better one, I think.  However, I don't feel as though that's for me to judge. 

There's so much I want to do for 2014---and I don't want to set myself up for disappointment, so I am not sure I am going to share them here yet.You might get bits and pieces of my desires for this year through my blogs.  I mean, hey, I don't want to spoil the fun for all of you readers!   In all seriousness, though, I wish everyone reading a happy, healthy and prosperous 2014.

That's what I'm planning for....

A.

No comments:

Post a Comment